Thursday 28 April 2016

God, #Olajumoke Orisaguna, confusion and little beginnings | 5 Inspiring Success Principles we learnt from TY Bello's recent interview





Nigerian ace photographer TY Bello was recently on half hour show, Heart of the matter with the General overseer of the Guiding Light Assembly, Wale Adefarasin.

In the interview, she talked deeply about her work,career, life values and more.

Here are 5 life inspiring life principles we learnt from the interview:

1. Discovering purpose is key to fulfillment.

I became born again, a Christian at 11 years of age. At this point, I wanted to find out what God created me for, I was confused, but I kept trusting God... I had wanted to go to "wonderland" America after my secondary school, but this didn't happen. God wanted me to have a global life, but it was not at that point. I started to learn hairdressing and I became a beauty therapist. I was also in the choir in my church and I became a member of a group that would write a music for every message the pastor preached on Sundays.  All of these made me come alive.

2. Do not despise little beginnings

Emem, Lara George and I started up KUSH - Kinetically Ushering Salvation to Hearts and Homes, by mere coincidence. KUSH came out of the University of Lagos, where I was the music director at my fellowship, by accident, we started making music  together. I was a floater and once in a while, I would float into Lara George's room and a year later Emem joined in and we began to make music. The name of the group was picked on the spur just when we were about going up on stage one day to perform.

3. Helping others should be a lifestyle

The shot with Olajumoke was not merely coincidental. While I was shooting Tinie Tempah, Olajumoke walked past and some members of the crew were chasing her off the set. But, I saw something in her and I asked her, if it was okay, to photograph her. She agreed and that was all. It was one of the many images. After the photos were published, everybody kept asking if she was a model, so I said why don't we make her a model.

I went in search for her and we found her. I didn't have any plans for her, but when she started narrating her story, that she stayed with her 16 months old in a bakery, my babies were also 16 months and it instantly made a quick connection.

I asked her if she would like to be a model, but she asked does being a model   means to dance? I said no, no. I go the permission of her husband before photo-shooting her. I still had no idea what to do with the pictures, bot someone suggested that putting it on the cover of This Day as a sequel to Tinie Tempah's, and so I was able to convince the crew and it went really big.

For Olajumoke, all of it was overwhelming, she didn't really understand what was going on, but she is settling in now. She has mentors, telling her to stay simple and humble.

I was quick to associate myself and ask God, what next because really, this is what life is all about, shine light to situations. It is nothing but our everyday life and I was quick to move on.

4. God speaks through situations
Being a photographer, is like my God give CIA.  One of my most memorable experience is photographing the late Emir of Kano. As he was coming from the mosque, they started to fire guns and chanting, "Adjust yourself, the king is coming". I was permitted to join enter where the council of elders were and it was elating. That experience thought me that I am royalty and God was teaching me how to relate to pay attention to culture, people.

5. It's okay to be confused
Don't be ashamed or afraid of being confused. That confusion will be the vehicle for self-discovery. If you have everything all discovered, you won't ask too many questions.Pay attention to who you are, what you are made to do and not what you think success is.

You can watch the video below:





No comments:

Post a Comment